Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween, a 30th birthday, and Køge



 Each year Tivoli opens for a couple of weeks in the fall and is decorated for Halloween.  Last weekend some friends took us there. 


Ethan went for a ride on the carousel, touched all the pumpkins that he could find, and splashed in every puddle.



All the rides and decorations light up in the evening--Tivoli is such a magical place.  I can't wait to go there again around Christmas.

Aaron turned 30 last week!  I made boeuf bourguignon and a cake (which proved to be no easy task with a very hyper toddler and a hungry dog).  Aaron had a mound of cards to open from family and friends back home, which meant a lot to him.    




This weekend we went to an old town called Køge.  We walked around and checked out the outdoor market and admired the architecture, much of it dating back to the 17th century.



So many of the houses have completely slanted walls which add to their charm.



I love all of the details that went into building houses "way back when."



Halloween isn't celebrated in Denmark as much as it is in the U.S.  Aaron had to go to two different grocery stores to find Halloween candy!  We had a few trick-or-treaters stop by and Ethan passed out candy to each child.  Ethan loved carving pumpkins, too.


When it was time to go to bed last night, we searched high and low for Ethan's beloved tiger cub blanket.  Thirty minutes into the search, Aaron spotted him in one of the carved pumpkins.


On another note, this is how I am storing my hexagons these days.  I am going to fill the tin up a bit before I start sewing them into strips again.  I am almost 1/4 of the way done basting hexagons for the hugest hexagon quilt ever made!

4 comments:

Susan Nudelman said...

Sounds so fun! I love the story of finding tiger cub in the pumpkin! Reminds me of the time we found him in the dog-food storage bin!
P.S. I'm so glad you blogged again. I've missed reading them!

Sarah Seitz said...

Happy Halloween, sis! I love your new haircut! So cute that Ethan put his cub in the pumpkin! I love that little boy! Wow, your hexie quilt is coming along, that is one massive project!! Love you!

Mary Ann said...

Did you visit the lovely Quilt Shop in Køge?! Your hexies are beautiful! Also love the container you're using for storage!! :o)

savvy stitch said...

Mary Ann, I think I saw that shop! Is the fabric store also a Bernina dealership?