Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ethan's Clamshell Quilt


I stayed up until midnight last night because I HAD to finish Ethan's quilt!  I estimate that there are around 200 clamshells in this quilt.
The quilt has such great texture.  The best part about making it is seeing Ethan's face light up when he sees it and I tell him that it is his quilt.  I laid it out on the ground this morning and he promptly grabbed a truck and started playing on it.  Be still my soul!
I am going to add a 9 inch border in this fabric.  I am hoping to send it out to get quilted in the next couple of days.

Chase's girlfriend, Dolly, moved to Scotland early this morning.  Chase looked REALLY sad this morning, which broke my heart.  He'll get some extra TLC from us in the coming days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So excited for you and for Ethan to finally get his quilt from his Mommy! Good job-it looks beautiful and I love how much he loved it! Love you tons!
Aaron

Susan Nudelman said...

I really love the fabric and color choices in this quilt! Do you know the names of all the fabrics? Ethan will love his quilt and will probably play all sorts of games on it.

Here is a sweet poem by Robert Lewis Stevenson and a little boy and his quilt (counterpane)

The Land of Counterpane
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

Sarah Seitz said...

So gorgeous! I can't believe you're finished, that was in record time! How will you sew on the border? Does it also have to be hand-sewn? Crazy! Ethan will absolutely love it. That pic of Ethan is to die for. Love that little guy.

PS - great poem, mom, I love it!

savvy stitch said...

Mom--I love the poem! I can't wait for Ethan to have memories WITH the quilt and play on it etc. The fabrics are by Amy Butler, but I don't know the line and have a feeling that they have been discontinued. They have peacocks on them and some of the prints look like wallpaper. The green fabric is Liberty of London.

Sarah--I am going to chop off the clamshells that are sticking out and add the border. I can't wait to have this puppy quilted!

Lana said...

That is an unusual quilt...I really like it! I wonder...how much time that took~ you are my new hero!